Grand Performances: Building Self and Social Ties through Theatrical Performance
Keywords:theater self performance
AbstractThe stories that individuals tell about their experiences on stage and behind-the-scenes at the Grand Opera House of Oshkosh, Wisconsin, contribute to their knowledge of self and social ties.
Building and Rebuilding Community: Public Memory and the Grand Opera House of Oshkosh, Wisconsin. Buildings and Landscapes. 17(2): 73-95.
Wisdom Sits in Places: Landscape and Language among the Western Apache. Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press.
Chappell, Edward A.
Viewpoint: Vernacular Architecture and Public History. Buildings & Landscapes. 14: 1-12.
Preserving Old Buildings in Mazatlán: Cultural Preservation or Change? Journal of the Southwest 45(1/2): 203-232.
Flores, Richard R.
Private Visions, Public Culture: The Making of the Alamo. Cultural Anthropology 10(1): 99-115.
Handler, Richard and Gable, Eric
The New History in an Old Museum: Creating the Past at Colonial Williamsburg. Durham, N.C.: Duke University Press.
Sites of Memory: Discourses of the Past in Israeli Pioneering Settlement Museums. In Cultural Memory and the Construction of Identity. D. Ben-Amos and Liliane Weissberg eds. Pp. 99-135. Detroit: Wayne State University Press.
Low, Setha M.
Urban Public Spaces as Representations of Culture: The Plaza in Costa Rica. Environment and Behavior. 29(1): 3-33.
Noyes, Dorothy and Abrahams, Roger D.
From Calendar Custom to National Memory: European Commonplaces. In Cultural Memory and the Construction of Identity. D. Ben-Amos and Liliane Weissberg eds. Pp. 77-98. Detroit: Wayne State University Press.
A Space on the Side of the Road: Cultural Poetics in An Other America. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- The Author retains copyright in the Work, where the term “Work” shall include all digital objects that may result in subsequent electronic publication or distribution.
- Upon acceptance of the Work, the author shall grant to the Publisher the right of first publication of the Work.
- The Author shall grant to the Publisher and its agents the nonexclusive perpetual right and license to publish, archive, and make accessible the Work in whole or in part in all forms of media now or hereafter known under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License or its equivalent, which, for the avoidance of doubt, allows others to copy, distribute, and transmit the Work under the following conditions:
- Attribution—other users must attribute the Work in the manner specified by the author as indicated on the journal Web site;
- The Author is able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the nonexclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the Work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), as long as there is provided in the document an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post online a prepublication manuscript (but not the Publisher’s final formatted PDF version of the Work) in institutional repositories or on their Websites prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work. Any such posting made before acceptance and publication of the Work shall be updated upon publication to include a reference to the Publisher-assigned DOI (Digital Object Identifier) and a link to the online abstract for the final published Work in the Journal.
- Upon Publisher’s request, the Author agrees to furnish promptly to Publisher, at the Author’s own expense, written evidence of the permissions, licenses, and consents for use of third-party material included within the Work, except as determined by Publisher to be covered by the principles of Fair Use.
- The Author represents and warrants that:
- the Work is the Author’s original work;
- the Author has not transferred, and will not transfer, exclusive rights in the Work to any third party;
- the Work is not pending review or under consideration by another publisher;
- the Work has not previously been published;
- the Work contains no misrepresentation or infringement of the Work or property of other authors or third parties; and
- the Work contains no libel, invasion of privacy, or other unlawful matter.
- The Author agrees to indemnify and hold Publisher harmless from Author’s breach of the representations and warranties contained in Paragraph 6 above, as well as any claim or proceeding relating to Publisher’s use and publication of any content contained in the Work, including third-party content.
Revised 7/16/2018. Revision Description: Removed outdated link.